Sunday, October 14, 2012

The Great Indian Democracy – Not a farce!!!

Lots have been said about the Indian Democracy – how it is a sham and workable by people in positions of power to their advantage. Most of this comes from people who haven’t had firsthand experience of what an undemocratic country is like. I had this experience of living in one of these dictatorial countries for a couple of months. It is then that I realized the strength of our democracy.

In my country, I have the right to speak against the government of the day, criticize the Prime Minister for the failures of the government, demand an explanation from the government, demonstrate against the government, file a “Right to Information” petition which the government is bound to answer. In contrast, the country where I spent some time was a dictatorship. While venturing out on the roads, I had to think before I spoke anything, before I compared this country to my homeland. I dare not utter a single word against the monarchy because the government was more interested in having plainclothes CID on the street to “quell any disturbances” rather than concentrate on the development of the country. Sure, the smell of oil and gas can bring in tons of dollars and F-16’s criss-crossing the skies to protect against external aggression. But can it ensure some accountability on the part of the government to serve the interests of their country rather than their own personal agendas? Can it ensure some sovereignty for the country and respect for the monarchy? Can it ensure that the successor to the throne is not disposed off because he tried to venture into US air bases situated in his own homeland? Can it give its citizens a security of being heard or a fair trial?

Surely, the democracy in my country is not perfect. Lots need to be done to maintain its delicate fabric. But it is definitely not a farce. It is said that the grass is generally greener on the other side. I have been on both sides and I am proud that in my case, the grass is definitely greener on my side.

No comments: